Fall Recipes for KidsPosted: September 8, 2012
Autumn is one of the best times of the year, with beautiful fall foliage, pumpkins and amazing smells associated with the season like cinnamon and apple cider. It’s also a perfect time to get in the kitchen and cook with your kids. Consider letting the kids in on your cooking secrets and trying these wonderful fall recipes for kids.
Sweet pumpkin bread is one of the best fall recipes for kids, and you can also make great use of your leftover pumpkin!
- 1- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (or about 2 cups fresh mashed pumpkin)
- 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Spray baking sheet with non-stick oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, apple sauce, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Pumpkin bread is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- After bread has cooled completely, frost with a cream cheese frosting, or glaze of powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Acorn treats are one of the best fall recipes for kids, and especially the younger ones who can create these with little help from mom or dad.
- Chocolate frosting
- Donut holes
- Toffee chips or crumbles
Frost about 1/3 of each donut hole and then roll the frosted top into the toffee chips or crumbles. Add a small piece of pretzel for the stem.
Fall isn’t the same without football, at least in most households. One of the best fall recipes for kids is this fun one for football sandwiches that make for a great party snack or lunch during the game.
- Meatballs- using your favorite recipe
- Pizza or spaghetti sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sandwich rolls
Shape the meatballs into mini footballs before cooking. After they’re cooked, add them to the pizza or spaghetti sauce and warm thoroughly. Let the kids take over from here, with a little supervision. For each sandwich, cut a V-shape out of the top of the sandwich roll and place the meatball inside, top with shredded cheese to look like laces. Place the sandwiches onto a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Fall recipes for kids can sometimes be just as fun, and delicious, for the adults!